It started with this…
Then, this….The rumors have been circling social media ever since the 2014 Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend. Back then, the rumor was that runDisney would be adding, not one, but two races to Disneyland in the coming year…a Star Wars race and an Avengers race. Well, earlier this year, we got the official announcement of the Avengers Super Heroes Half Marathon. Which, you know I signed up for. That race will be in November.
Today, runDisney made the second part of that January rumor true…a Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend!
It’s going to be epic!
This race even comes with a challenge…the Rebel Challenge! Here is what the runDisney event site says about this newest race…
May the Force be with you during the all-new Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend at the Disneyland® Resort. It’s a weekend journey to a galaxy far, far away featuring various runs, special events, Disney entertainment, your favorite Star Wars and Disney characters to cheer you along the course, and much, much more!
Choose your Destiny! There’s a run for Jedi Knights and Padawans of every age and skill level including the Star Wars Half Marathon, Star Wars 10K and Star Wars 5K, and the runDisney Kid Races. Put yourself to the ultimate test and join the Star Wars Rebel Challenge combining the Star Wars 10K and Half Marathon for an out-of-this-world running adventure. As Jedi Master Yoda says, “Do or do not. There is no try!” So DO be a part of the inaugural 2015 Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend, January 15-18, 2015.
Unlike the Avengers Super Heroes Half Marathon, the Star Wars Half Marathon comes with the Rebel Challenge. Here’s what’s involved…
Saturday, January 17 & Sunday, January 18, 2015
Start/Finish: Disneyland® Resort
The Ultimate Test for a Star Wars rebel!
Welcome to the rebel alliance! Now you can use the Force to amplify your strength and endurance in the ultimate test of your running skills during the Star Wars Rebel Challenge combining the Star Wars 10K on Saturday with the Star Wars Half Marathon on Sunday. You’ll need all the power of the Force for this 2-day, 19.3-mile run. Rebels who finish both races are awarded the Star Wars Rebel Challenge Finisher Medal in addition to the Half Marathon and 10K Finisher Medals.
You must register for the Star Wars Rebel Challenge to receive the Star Wars Rebel Challenge medal upon completion of both races within the pacing requirements.
Star Wars Rebel Challenge Highlights
- Two courses through Disneyland® Resort and the surrounding areas totaling 19.3 miles
- Star Wars Characters, Disney Characters and Entertainment on-course
- Family Reunion Area with live entertainment and characters
- Race within walking distance when you stay at a Disneyland®Resort Hotel
- Event transportation included when you stay at select Anaheim Area Hotels
Star Wars Rebel Challenge Participants Receive:
- Champion® Long-Sleeved Tech Shirt in Women’s or Men’s Cut for the Half Marathon, 10K and Star Wars Rebel Challenge*
- Special Star Wars Rebel Challenge Finisher Medal, along with Star Wars Half Marathon and Star Wars 10K Finisher Medals for completing the Half Marathon and 10K*
- Official Digital Event Guide*
- Personalized bib (Must register by October 10, 2014 for name to appear on bib)*
- On-course and post-race refreshments
- ChronoTrack B-tag timed races, with live runner tracking signup for friends and family
- Personalized Half Marathon results website
To receive the Star Wars Rebel Challenge Finisher Medal, you must register for the Star Wars Rebel Challenge. Registering for the 10K and Half Marathon individually will not make you eligible to receive the Star Wars Rebel Challenge Finisher Medal.
Dates, times, prices and inclusions subject to change. All races are subject to capacity limits and may close at any time before the percentage can be updated. Registration fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.
* Participants must attend Packet Pick-up at the runDisney Health & Fitness Expo to receive their race packet, bib, and tech shirt. Finisher medals will be distributed to finishers during the race. None of these items will be mailed to registrants.
I know that some people will likely be disappointed that the Star Wars Half Marathon is happening at Disneyland as opposed to Walt Disney World. However, as a Disneyland homer, I’m thrilled to have another race to choose from. I now have two runDisney races with which I can be perfect in…the Avengers Super Heroes Half Marathon and the Star Wars Half Marathon. On June 10th, I plan to be ready at my computer promptly at 9am for registration and run in this race. After running the Avengers Super Heroes Half Marathon and the Star Wars Rebel Challenge, I’ll evaluate how I like each race to see how my future racing plans will be like. As long as like the race courses, I may give up the Dumbo Double Dare Challenge after being officially Dumbo this year. After all, the idea of running in January and November when the weather is better for running is very appealing. I’ll let others take on the Dumbo Double Dare next summer and the Tinker Bell Half Marathon on Mother’s Day Weekend next year.
So, what say you readers? Are you as excited about this race as I am? Will you take on the Star Wars Rebel Challenge? The Star Wars Half Marathon by itself? Star Wars 10K, Star Wars 5K? Sound off in the comments.